We all know size and temperament also matters a lot when choosing a good/protective dog. When we say best dog breeds in Nigeria, we take into account personality(protective traits), size, and training.
Your dog may not act as a protective/security dog right away. In fact, they might even be scared. In matters of time, they will adjust to the environment and also make sure they are happy.
I based my ratings on security, due to the country security issues( high rate of burglars and armed robbers). So if you need one of the best dog breeds in Nigeria, we rate them by protective traits, temperament, size, and intelligence.
- Life Span: 12 to 14 years
- Health concerns: Allergy is a possibility; Skin disease
- Facts: The rarehunter are the best when it comes to hunting and protecting the household. They are just like our modern-day sensor. They are the only native Nigeria dog with majestic traits.
They are well-known as EKUKE which is an old and meaningless name. The rarehunter name means “a strong, intelligent guard/hunting dog that is rare and most lovable”. They are among the few breeds that go closest to being the ideal dog. They are brave guard dogs yet loyal and friendly to their family.
They are strong and athletic, but easy to maintain and extremely hardy. Their size is big enough to make them intimidating to unwanted visitors. It’s not all about size, these dogs don’t betray their owners. Compared to some huge looking dogs with a betrayal instinct.
It’s one of the best dog breeds in Nigeria.
- Life Span: 9 to 10 years
- Health Concerns: Cancer is a possibility; hip, eye, and joint issues
- Facts: The Rottweiler is the 8th most popular out of the 194 dog breeds recognized by AKC.
This dog breeds is a muscular, courageous, and devoted dog breed. Known for his calm confidence, strength, and good-natured disposition.
The Rottweiler is courageous, but not overly aggressive, this hard-working dog benefits from early training and socialization.
- Life Span: 7 to 10 years
- Health Concerns: Heart disease is a possibility; eye issues, and cancer.
- Facts: The Boerboel means “farm dog” and has served as a farm dog in 17th century south Africa.
The Boerboel gets along well with children and other pets, but because he is a dominant dog, he requires structured, firm training. He has strong protective instincts and a willingness to please. They weigh up to 200 pounds.
- Life Span: 7 to 12 years
- Health Concerns: Bloating and Cancer is a possibility and other minor issues
- Facts: The German Shepherd is one of the most popular and recognizable breeds of the Canadian kennel club.
German Shepherd dogs are confident, courageous, and smart. This dog breed is a loving, loyal, and even-tempered family companion who is fond of children. They are eager to please and easy to train, which is why they are often utilized as police dogs.
- Life Span: 10 to 12 years
- Health Concerns: Heart disease is a possibility; skin and tooth issues
- Facts: The Belgian Malinois is named for malinois, a city in northern Belgium where the breed originated.
This dog breed is a popular police dog and military dog. These dogs are naturally protective without being overly aggressive. They have great agility, obedience, and good for search and rescue.
If you need this type of dog, just one will do the job, deploy great trainers to teach her attacking strategies.
We have listed above best dog breeds in Nigeria, according to there protective traits, size and temperament. If you know of any other best dog breeds in Nigeria which has protective traits, Please ensure to comment below to notify us of more protective dog breeds in Nigeria.